|The History of
|It all began May of 1867
The Licking County Pioneer,
Historical, and Antiquarian Society
was our community's first historical society. This forerunner existed until at
least 1887. The group met in the basement of the courthouse, keeping
records in a secretary's book. Much we know of early Licking County
history comes from these records. No one seems sure when this first
society disbanded, but another would not emerge
until September 2, 1947.
|On October 2nd, 1947
The Articles of Incorporation were signed by
some of the society's first trustees:
Clarence Jones, Corrine Metz, Isaac Smucker,
Shirley Webb & Frank Woolson.
The witnesses were Laura Beggs, Roderic Jones, & Robbins Hunter Jr.
A Constitutional Code was written thereafter, requiring membership.
Plans were in motion to move Licking County's most architecturally
prominent residence, the Davidson House, to Veterans' Park as a house
museum. Mr. Fred Lazarus not only donated the house, but also gave $500
towards moving the structure from Park National Bank's current location
to the 6th St. Park. Enough money was raised, and the house officially
opened as a museum in 1952 during Licking County's Sesquicentennial.
One of the current society's founding members, Shirley Webb,
willed her Granville Street home and its contents to the society
to be used as a museum.
The Webb House became the next addition.
|The Sherwood-Davidson House being
moved from its original location, the corner
of 3rd and Church streets
|Buckingham Meeting House
|The Licking County Historical Society's first meeting
was held in Trinity Parrish.
A motion was made to transfer the $6 in funds
from the inactive original society to the newly established group.
To be saved from demolition, the historic Buckingham Meeting House was
also moved to the park. Abandoned for many years, the LCHS was
eventually able to purchase it for only one dollar! Then the society raised
funds to restore it and opened it as a meeting house in 1967.
Historian and LCHS supporter, Robbins Hunter, bequeathed his
Granville residence to the society also to be utilized as a museum.
The Licking County Historical Society gained jurisdiction over a
prehistoric Indian mound, The Alligator Mound, located in Granville.